Wednesday, April 11, 2012

10 Years

10 years ago, Lily and I met in a ceramic conference in China, and quickly became best friend. Even we never live in the same town, we always manage to get together to do workshop or conference here/ there almost every year. This year we managed to join 2 x 2 days workshops before NCECA in Seattle. She also managed to let John take care of the kids for the whole time.

Beside new technique/ skill, you always learn something unique from a workshop. Gail Nichols is a perfect example of how her environment shapes her and her work. She might be born wild and independent, but I don't believe she would make what she make without moving to Australia. She wouldn't have her unique sense of space, and her way of being innovative, if there are lots of people around her doing soda fire.
Beth's animals with human complex personality always intrigue me. Complex - I mean layers of emotions and/or motives, which sometimes contradict. Her excellent story telling along with the demonstration, open up the core of the heart. We mostly responded with a good laugh, even to a very dark story........ strange animal!Walter Keeler, a British gentleman could have pretended trained in Yixing, even he had never been there or seen a Yixing teapot master make a teapot. My heart always has a special place for this kind of men; with engineering mind, craftsman's hands, artist's eye, and poet's heart.This is not all the people in Pottery Northwest's workshop. Some were still outside firing.
To me: Jason Walker is a quiet painter more than a potter. He's one of the star in this NCECA; being one of the demonstrator and having a big show in town. Unfortunately, he had to leave the conference early since his dad passed away the day after his show opening.
What brought me to Whatcome College's workshop, is this simple twist handle of Jose Deweese. I had seen it done many years ago. Try it many times myself.... always too careful, too much worries, too much clay, too wet, too me me me ....
Here's Rob's thank you note from Bellingham, Washington, which is a fine town. Our wonderful host 'Marilyn and Tom' (who open their house for strangers like us) move thousands of mile there base on a few criteria; small college town, sea (sailing), mountain (hiking and skiing), and a well knitted art community. I think they chose well.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 係呀, 每次見面, 我都笑説她又寫了新書 ; 不是新的一章。

      Delete