Sunday, August 12, 2007

Heard my pot sings

After using the Shimpo Whisper in/at MISSA for 2 weeks, I've decided I'm not going to put up with my old noisy pottery wheel anymore. Yes, I really should have returned it the day I got my Pacfica, 6 years ago. It's totally my own fault. We tried to fix it, with every possible way, even went as far as replacing the bearing, not to speak of oiling/ check the bell,etc...., but nothing seems to work. Don't get me wrong. Pacfica makes good wheels. We have a bunch in the Art Center, and they're all fine.
And it was the reason I got mine.
So, my Whisper just arrived. It's so quiet that I've to change some of my throwing habits, good or bad. I'm so used to higher speed means louder noise . You could say, I throw by ear. Now, without the noise, more sense has sense has to go to the touch and the eye.
I throw in front of an open window. Now, without the wheel noise, I can hear the resonance of a big tall pot when the wind blows. Interesting! It leads me to think what else you can hear if you can turn off some of the loud noise in our life.

1 comment:

  1. It reminds me about the movie Princess Mononoke, the spirits of tree can only be seen by the person who is close to the forest.

    ReplyDelete