Friday, January 25, 2008

漂亮的揮春




How excited to receive 漂亮的揮春 from Walter, my new found friend and calligraphy teacher. He even sent me some blank red paper to try on. Then, I'm going to send my works to all of my CBC nephews, who don't know any Chinese. I hope/guess their parents are not going to tell them the fact that, aunt May really doesn't know how to hold a brush.
I am looking forward to the next visit back home.

For people who don't read Chinese and want to know what's it all about. Here's my total inaccurate interpretation:
Calligraphy on Red paper on the wall, with wishful saying is a way to celebrate new year.
Outside front door: Celebrate good life with nice music, fragrant tea and fine wine, year after year.
Inside front door: L- Spirt like dragon and horse, C- Fortune , R- Done as your will (so, be careful what you wish for ;->)
Side door: Safe and peace going in and out.

4 comments:

  1. I think people don't know Chinese or Chinese tradition well may like to know the reason of putting the 揮春 on the wall or the doors.

    BTW, do you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know, other than you see it every time you go in and out!?!? ;->

    ReplyDelete
  3. O really, the monster "year" is afraid of the red color, so we put everything red on the wall, door to frighten them away ...

    So, we have red pocket and firework in red paper as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, right ....... now I remember. That's why we have fire cracker making loud noise to scare him away too.

    But, I really don't remember what will happen if monster " year" get in your house!?!?! Maybe he will eat all of your fortune cookie. ;P

    ReplyDelete