Friday, November 23, 2007

My Hero

On the way home after Thanksgiving dinner in Jacksonville, I was YouTubing on the iPhone along I95 for 4 hours (thanks for AT&T unlimited data plan), very surprised that it only dropped a few times. Very delighted to see some footage of my hero; The youngest ever recipient of the honor of Dame (equivalent to Knight for a male) from the Queen. An asteroid is named after her. Her last book is called "Taking on the World". All these are because 3 years ago this week, she began her second attempt of solo sailing non-stop around the world on a very fast boat "B&Q" and broke the world record by 1 day (total 71 days, 14 hrs), which also broke a lot of men's heart. Her name is Ellen MacArthur.

http://www.ellenmacarthur.com/
I'm thrilled to see that she's trying to use her achievement to make a better world.
What a coincidence that Francis Joyon is departing today , trying to regain the title of the record he lost. In fact, the window of opportunity only open a couple of weeks every year. If the weather is not optimal, there's no chance to set new record.
Somehow, I wish my hero's record will last a bit longer. :->
Here's another nice clip of ultimate sailing. It's a long cut, but I just cannot get enough of it. I hope it will inspire you to do something brave today, even maybe your most adventurous trip on the water is ferrying across the harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment