Sunday, November 25, 2007

Magic connection

Maybe you've never heard of "Long Tack Sam, 郎德山", but he's one of the most famous Chinese acrobat and magician in his time. He overcame isolation, poverty, cultural and linguistic barriers, extreme racism, and world wars to travel all over the world to perform vaudeville acts. We might never know anything about him, if not because of his great-granddaughter determined to travel the globe to find out his stories. It leads me to think about my own great-grandfather/mother, whom I never met and know nothing about, not even their names. I wonder if I do find out the legacy, grand or ordinary , will I be able to see the connections, like Ann Marie Fleming does? And understand how we all are connected?
Almost forget, it's a graphic novel. A lot of fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment